- Complete the LVAC membership application online
- Mail the following to LVAC Membership Committee, 40 Embry Place, Lancaster NY 14086
- Three letters of reference from references who will be contacted
- A color copy of your driver’s license or state-issued identification card
- A color copy of any current EMS certifications (i.e. CPR card, EMT, etc.)
- Completed background check form
- Successful completion of a “fit for duty” physical examination at Health Works of Western New York.
- A scheduled LVAC ride along, consisting of a minimum of eight hours to a maximum of 16 hours. The “ride along” can be split into two shifts of four hours each. The scheduled “ride along(s)” must consist of at least two complete calls and be documented. Calls in which the patient is not transported to a hospital cannot be counted toward this requirement.
- A separate work resume is required only for career staff applications.
- The passing of a drug test.
- A $10.00 application fee for the processing of the application and for new member uniform shirts. Money will be returned if the applicant is not approved for career staff or volunteer membership.
Dear Applicant, Thank you for applying for membership to the Lancaster Volunteer Ambulance Corps (LVAC). We were founded in 1953 as one of the first volunteer ambulance services in Western New York. The LVAC has been providing pre-hospital emergency care to the community for more than 50 years, adapting to changes in the EMS field and embracing the latest technologies. Applicants must be at least 18 years old to become an active member of the LVAC. An Explorers Post is also available for those not meeting this minimum age requirement. Please contact the LVAC at (716) 683-3282, ext. 18, for details regarding this program. All members are required to attend mandatory training sessions, including, but not limited to CPR, HAZMAT, Blood-borne Pathogens and Emergency Vehicle Operations. Drivers of LVAC apparatus are required to be at least 21 years old and have a minimum of three years licensed driving experience, a current valid operators license, a clean driving record, and a current Emergency Vehicle Operator’s Certification. Attendants must be at least 18 years old and meet the minimum requirements dictated by the New York State Department of Health to administer emergency medical care. The LVAC has two membership types: 1. Volunteer Applicants applying for a volunteer membership may apply for either a driver or an attendant position. Volunteers are required to have knowledge of the emergency medical services field; experience is a plus. The LVAC can provide assistance in obtaining minimum training requirements. All volunteer members are required to perform a MINIMUM of 16 hours of squad time per month. 2. Career Staff Applicants must have at least two years of experience with a high call volume EMS agency. Applicants must also hold valid and current credentials to level of care. To become a member of the LVAC, your application must be voted on and approved by the board of directors for Career Staff and general membership for the volunteer staff at the monthly meeting. In order for an applicant to be voted on, an application and all supporting documentation must be submitted. Required Documentation